Add Your Heading Text Here
Fascinating facts about Curacao!
That Curacao was discovered by the Spanyard Alonso de Ojeda on 26 july in 1499. The Indians that were living there were from the Arowak tribe and were like giants compared to the shorter Spanyards. That is why the island was labeled “Isla de los gigantes”: island of the giants?
- That Curacao was taken over by the Dutch Johan van Walbeek in 1634. All Spanyards and indians were banished to Venezuela?
- That New York was Dutch Colony and Peter Stuyvessant the director-general on Curacao from 1639-1645, became director-general to New Amsterdam until it was ceded to the English Duke of York, who renamed it New York in 1646?
- That Curacao had a slave trade market selling slaves brought from Africa (Gambia and Ghana amongst others) to people all over in the area?
- That the slaves rebelled against the Dutch rule in 1795. Leaders of the rebelion were Tula, Louis Mercier, Pedro Wacau and Bastian Carpata? They were caught and senteced to death?
- That the slavery was abolished in 1863 on 1st of July by King William the Third?
- The Queen Emma pontoon swigging bridge was the idea of the USA consul (L.B. Smith). Its opening was in 1888. It was first abusiness object charging money to cross except for bare footed, then it was free of charge. Its length is 167 m. connecting Punda to Otrabanda.
More fascinating facts about Curacao!
- That the shape of Curacao is like is like a heart hence got its name derived from the Portugese name: Coraçao meaning heart?
- That Curacao is 60 km long and 40 km width?
- That Curaçao is about 40 miles/60 km from the coast of Venezuela and on some clear days you can see Venezuela with bare eyes, especially the mountains of Cumarebo and Sabanas Altas?
- That on Curacao most people is multi lingual, speaking Papiamentu (our native language), Dutch ( official Language), English and Spanish?
- That the famous pioneer aviator Charles Lindbergh, first to cross the Atlantic Ocean non-stop, landed in September 28, 1929 on Curacao with a twin-engine Sikorsky?
- That baseball is a national sport and that key players of the mayor league are born or raised in Curacao: Didi Gregorius (short stop) from New York Yankees, Kenley Jansen (pitcher) from LA Dodgers to name a few?
- That the blue liqueur “ Blue Curacao“ used in several mix drinks all over the world was invented by monks on Curaçao?
More fascinating facts about Curacao!
- That during World War II the allied forces were supplied mostly by fuel that was refined in Curaçao and Aruba?
- That tab water is distilled from sea water and that the quality is comparable to spring water such as Spa Blue?
- That the most delicious spring roll on Curacao is called “loempia” from the chinees restaurant: “Dushi Loempia” at Caracasbaaiweg?
- That the so called bread-trucks: “Truck di pan” is the last resource to have a byte late at night along the roads?
- That the largest bridge Queen Juliana bridge over St Anna bay collapsed during construction in 1967 killing 15 workers and was replaced? After its opening on 30 april 1974 the Queen Emma bridge was closed to traffic and open only to pedestrians?
- The highest elevation on Curacao is St Christoffel berg and is 372 m?Curacao has an independent status in the Dutch kingdom consisting of 4 equal partners: The Netherlands, Aruba, St Maarten and Curacao?
- The flag of Curacao consists of the colors blue, yellow and white and have two white stars: one big, one small. The blue color resembles the blue Caribbean sea and the yellow color the Sun. The 2 white stars represent the big island Curacao and the smaller island of Klein Curacao?
- That Curacao in the native tongue Papiamentu is called Korsow?
- That the word: “Dushi” means sweet hence “Dushi Curacao” means sweet Curacao?
- That Willemstad is more than just the capital, it’s also a UNESCO World Heritage recognize for its unique historical Dutch architecture and long history in the region.
- That Villa Sea Paradise Curacao is the only villa that offers a jacuzzi, infinity pool, sea dock with ladder access to the sea in Boca Gentil Resort?
- That Papillon (Henri Charrière) the prisoner of devils island in front of French Guyana (South America) after escaped landed on Curacao and was incarcerated in one of the arch-rooms below Waterfort and then was released and sailed to Colombia and lived the rest of his life in Venezuela?
- That Simon Bolivar the Venezuelan liberator of South America was exiled for a while on Curacao and lived in the building called: Octagon which is now a museum adjacent to Hotel Avila?
- That Simon Bolivar met with Pedro Luis Brion a Curacao born who became the admiral of the Venezuelan revolution fleet under Simon Bolivar. His statue can be seen at Brion plasa in Otrabanda?
Fascinating facts about Curacao!
- That Manuel Piar also raised on Curacao was a general in the Venezuelan revolution and was senteced to death by Pedro Luis Brion after found guilty of insurbordination against Bolivar? In what is one of the independence struggle’s darkest episodes, Bolívar ordered Piar arrested and tried for desertion, insubordination, and conspiring against the government. Since Piar was the only one charged and arrested in this episode, it is generally agreed that Bolívar simply needed to make an example of a single general from among the military leadership. Piar was the unlucky chosen one. He was arrested on September 28, 1817, and was judged by a court martial led by Pedro Luis Brion which found him guilty on all charges; and on October 15 sentenced him to death. On that same day Simón Bolívar, as Supreme Commander, confirmed the sentence. Piar statue is placed in front of Fort Amsterdam at the other side of St Anna bay, opposite to the statue of Brion.
- That Curacao lies ideally situated outside the belt regarding Caribbean Hurricanes? You can book freely any time of the year without worrying about hurricane period.
- That electricity can fail for 1 or 2 hours which is OK for the area?
- That refilling your gas tank you have to pre-payat the counter before you can fill your tank?
- That in traffic all traffic coming from the right has preference, except on a T-junction then the traffic on the terminating road must yield to all traffic at the termination point. Some countries like Holland use the priority-to-the-right rule also at T-Junction, but not Curaçao.
- That one of the largest slave museum in the westren hemisphere is located in Otrabanda and is called Kura Hulanda?
- That the oldest still in use Synagogue in the Western hemisphere is located down town Willemstad and is called Mikvé Israel Immanuel Synagogue.
That the biggest Mall on Curacao with 190 stores is called Sambil?
That Villa Sea Paradise Curacao has a hottub, private Infinity Pool, Sea dock with lights that attacks large Tarpons to the Sea dock?
That the best Venezuelan arrepas (flat pattiy made of maize flour) are sold in Salina abou 165 at Deli Arrepas Cafe? Try the Arrepa Pabellon, our favourite!
That Curacao has its own Table Mount like in Cape Town, South Africa, but you have to be quick to see it because it will disappear eventually due to Phosphate mining?
That Curacao has a salt water geisha that shoots sea water in the air at Boca Pistol in the Shete Boca Nature Park and that Villa Sea Paradise Curacao also has a little boca pistol, splashing water again the shore in the air creating a rainbow?
That you can swim with turtles in Westpoint fishers bay?
That the three hills you can see from Villa Sea Paradise Curacao beyond Willemstad are called: “De Drie Gebroeders” translated: The Three Brothers?
That at arrival at the airport of Hato tourist can skip long lines and go faster through customs and immigration clearence by online filling Embarkatiom and Disembarcation Card (ED Card) via internet and at arrival taking the fast lane to the e-gates? The form must be completed ate least 24 hours before departing to Curacao? Check the process out on this link: https://youtu.be/HBqzq3k8XdI
- That Curacao has a Cathedral of Thorns, a monumental artist concert of artist Herman van Bergen, located at Landhuis Bloempot. It is a huge labyrint construction built of thorns twigs of the island, This work of art can be seen although it is still under construction?
- That Curacao has a unique Ostrich farm where you can have an encounter with ostriches and even can ride on them, which is fun to see?
- That Curacao has a traditional Black Cake called “Bolo Pretu” unique in the world, different from the Caribbean Rum Cake. It contains more rum and lots of ingredients that have to lay for 3 months to soak up the rum. It is especially offered at weddings, first communian?
Interested in staying with us? Contact us for more information about our oceanfront villa, one of the nicest and close to town! See the availability of Curacao vacation rentals: Villa Sea Paradise Curacao!
#VacationRentalCuracao #VacationHome #BookDirect #ByOwner, #Curacao #OceanfrontRentalsCuracao #Nobookingfees #Vacationcuracao #Curacaowillemstad #Curacaoexclusive #bookavacation #villaseaparadisecuracao #Curacaobeachvillas #EDCardCuracao #SambilsCuracao #PapilonHenriCharrière #CuracaoSinagogue #Sheteboca #CuracaoEmmabridge #Curacaobaseball #CuracaoKuraHulanda #CuracaoChristoffelpark